Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It is Possible to Become Muslims Without Believing (God forbid!)

While reading the translation of the Quran, I encountered the following verses; I was struck by them:

The Bedouin Arabs say: "We have believed."

Tell them: "You have not believed; rather say 'We have become Muslims'; for faith has not yet found its way into your hearts. If you obey Allah and His Rasool[Messengers], He will not deny you the reward of your deeds; surely, Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."

True believers are those who believe in Allah and His Rasool[Messengers], then never doubt; and make Jihad (exert their efforts)with their wealth and their persons in the cause of Allah.
(Quran 49:14-15, Malik trans.)


I am not an Ulama' nor an exegete. But from my rather rough reading, I conclude it is possible to become Muslims WITHOUT believing if we lack certain criteria, as mentioned above - God forbid!

No comments: